Saturday, September 5, 2009

Titles on Tammi's Bookshelf: Any Minute by Joyce Meyer and Deborah Bedford

Most people know Joyce Meyer from her Bible teaching and her New York Times bestselling inspirational books, and some may know that Any Minute is not her first work of fiction. The Penny was the first novel she wrote with Deborah Bedford.

I must confess, I didn't know that Meyer had written a previous novel and was delighted to discover her second at my local supermarket (perusing the book and magazine section takes some of the drudgery out of grocery shopping, and if I happen to make a serendipitous find like this one, turns it into a treat).

Sarah Harper is a woman who gets what she wants, most often at the expense of others. She is so determined to achieve and succeed at work that she uses the people there to climb the corporate ladder and gain the things she desires, while at home she neglects her husband and two young children and is losing what is most important.

As a commodities trader, Sarah is driven. In more ways than one. Not only is she a force to be reckoned with on the trading floor, she's one to steer clear of on the way to the office as well. Sarah is notorious for the reckless Nascaresque maneuvers she dares in her Lincoln MKX as she vies for the coveted spot in the parking tower closest to the elevator. She is willing to do whatever it takes to 'get hers'. And everyone knows it.

With her self-centered tunnel vision, Sarah is blind to the fact that she is speeding headlong toward a collision that will alter the course of her life and the lives of all those around her.

Though she finally has to admit that she's floundering in all of her relationships, and especially with her husband, Joe, try as she might, Sarah is unable to strike a balance between advancing her career and saving her marriage. Every time she gets ahead at work, she and Joe take several steps backwards at home. As she struggles with self esteem issues stemming from her painful past where she could never earn her mother's approval or praise, she continues to self medicate on the high she receives whenever she receives recognition at work. Because she needs this rush, and is addicted to it, she continues to nurture her professional life and sorely neglect her private one.

Mitchell, Sarah's perceptive little eight-year-old Chicago Cubs fan, feels the strain on the home front more than either of his parents realize. Though his vision is impaired, he is able to see things that they miss. Like the man in the scoreboard at Wrigley Field who later appears as a homeless beggar searching for shoes on the Windy City's streets. With his childlike faith, Mitchell is not surprised by the instrumental role this eccentric character will play in his family's life.

One fateful morning Sarah's 'take what you want from life' attitude spurs her to try to beat a bridge closing over the river. Her Lincoln plummets into the water, but Sarah's spirit is suspended somewhere between life and death. The lessons she learns about priorities and the value she has in Christ as she hangs in the balance cause her to long to go back and do life differently. But will she be given the chance?

Any Minute is a timely novel that paints a vivid picture of a woman juggling home and career while desperately searching for a sense of self worth. Whether we work outside the home out of necessity, a desire for professional and/or personal fulfillment, or in an attempt to establish our worth through our contributions, trying to divide and compartmentalize home and work is a full-time job in and of itself.

This has seldom been more apparent to me than it was this week. My son was very sick from last Sunday afternoon until yesterday. So sick that I wanted nothing more than to be home with him. But alas, it was also the week my regional vice president was scheduled to visit my child care center. Needless to say, it was not a good week for me to call off.

For four days I performed an intricate dance of trying to take care of my sick child (two doctor visits, interrupted sleep, etc.), my well child (Kindergarten Open House/Picnic), and trying not to compromise my job performance (no small fete as you working moms know). It was physically, logistically and emotionally challenging.

Thankfully I have the support of faithful friends, a super staff, and strength from my Heavenly Father who enables me to keep all the balls in the air. What a relief it is to know that as I hold everything on my plate, He holds me.

Sarah was a commodities broker who didn't know her own value. Since I've come to see myself through my Father's eyes, I do. Like her, it would be so easy to let the hurts of my abusive past make me believe that I'm not worth anything, no matter what I accomplish or acquire.

Instead, like Sarah's son, I'm able to see what the world sometimes misses - that apart from anything the world uses to measure success - I'm immeasurably valuable to Him. I'm pretty sure being a dedicated mother and a hard working employee are just bonuses as far as He's concerned. He treasures me because I'm His precious daughter.

And so are you.

~Truly Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment